Making Sense in Mold Remediation Practices
Millions of people have allergies. Some even suffer serious allergic reactions to the spores, mycotoxins and contaminants often found in properties that have suffered water damage.
There is mold in nearly every environment. It is part of the natural world we live in. Most of us inhale and exhale mold spores every day. There are individuals who have increased sensitivity to mold. Extensive microbial growth may be a cause for concern requiring professional mold removal.
Mold spores are microscopic, are easily airborne and enter your home or business every minute of every day. The airborne levels of these contaminants will vary greatly and opening a door or window can change them drastically.
However, we often encounter situations that require nothing more than a thorough scouring with a disinfectant.
It is important to keep in mind that “water damage” does not have to take place for molds to form inside. Condensation, high humidity, and poor ventilation will often cause mold and/or mildew to grow in your home.
Though like water damage, mold in your home or business can have a devastating impact on your structural building materials, your personal property, and your health. Many of the molds that form in your property are the direct result of prolonged or unattended water damage and moisture.
If you discover mold, educate yourself before you try attempting mold remediation. Never use toxic or caustic chemicals in your home or near your family. You can remove mold successfully in the home by using simple soap and water.
Be wary of over-the-counter chemicals and products that promise quick results or magic in a bottle. In return for these wondrous results, you are likely to be placing your own health and safety at risk, so read the small print carefully.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has published some excellent information about preventing and remediating mold growth, as well as about knowing when to call a professional mold removal company such as ours.
Is Mold Remediation Expensive?
Mold remediation costs vary depending on the extent of the damage. If there is lots of mold growing and covering a large area, you can expect the cost to be higher than for smaller amounts of mold. You may even be able to remove the mold yourself.
The location of the mold can also affect the cost. For instance, is the mold growing in the basement, or in the attic?
In general, the average cost for mold remediation in the United States is approximately $2, 231, with the average cost per square foot being $10 to $25. However, the cost of mold removal and remediation projects can range from as little as $50 for under 10 feet to as much as $6 000 or more.
If toxic spores affect the whole house, you have a serious problem on your hands.
You can do smaller mold remediation jobs in the home at little cost to yourself; however, be sure to have read up about mold and its causes and effects before you tackle the task. For bigger jobs, it’s better to hire a local mold removal company.
Several water damage restoration companies in Columbus, such as ourselves — who are certified, offer this service.
The bottom line: Tackle mold sooner than later to keep your costs down and prevent health problems.
Will My Insurance Cover Home or Business Remediation?
Normally, insurance policies don’t include coverage for mold remediation at all, although there may be exceptions. This is the case even if a loss that the policy does cover has caused the damage.
If you have a water damage claim in progress, or even a previous one that resulted in suspected mold growth, contact your insurance carrier or adjuster to find out what coverage is available.
When it comes to insurance coverage, UPPA law forbids contractors from advising, discussing or determine any coverage that may be applicable or where coverage is not applicable.
The EPA has published some great information in not only remediation of small mold removal projects but in protecting yourself as well as know when to call a professional mold removal company such as ours. You can find the information here.
What Exactly is “Black Mold”?
“Black mold” — also known as “toxic mold” is the common term for stachybotrys chartarum. If you experience lots of sneezing, runny noses, coughing, itchiness, redness of the eyes, watery eyes, these may be signs of black mold.
The media have made a major issue out of black mold, however, and its effects on human health. This form of mold has become something of a sensational term and the mold has been the focus of a lot of negative media coverage.
There is a lot of confusion around the mold and it is generally considered dangerous. Given that there are so many warnings about the dangers of mold to health, when tragedy strikes an elderly or immune-deficient member of a community, the event is something of a flashpoint.